Anyone here ever build a plywood tank?

dandy7200

Considering something in the 280 range and only need one side viewable so am giving it some serious thought. I would build something around 120ish first as a test tank and that could work as the sump for the 280. I would like to here from someone local about whats really involved and check it out in person. So if you have done it or know someone who has please let me know.

Dan

Stopped by JP's this afternoon and now my fate is sealed.........must build one! I knew I would be in trouble if I saw how easy it was and how good it looked in person.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

Dan

I'd like to see one of these tanks

Anyone is always welcome to stop by and see my tank - basically built following the garf info: 8' x 2' x 19". It has been up for 2 1/2 years. I live in Burke.

Anyone is always welcome to stop by and see my tank - basically built following the garf info: 8' x 2' x 19". It has been up for 2 1/2 years. I live in Burke.

It is worth the trip, thanks again JC.

I should have taken more pics when building it, but here are a few:

The jig I built to build the tank - since you build it upside down:

030830-jig.jpg

here I am painting the epoxy:

030927-painting1.jpg

This is the tank, with glass, on the stand

031111-baces-and-glass.jpg

Here the wall is up around the tank:

040105-the-wall-is-up.jpg

Here is a reasonably current front view:

060530-aquarium-front.jpg

Here is a view from the topside of the back:

060530-aquarium-back.jpg

And here are some of the DIY filters:

060810-filters.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome. I do have a question though...how long are these supposed to last? I'm always afraid of the idea of a bursting tank, but this does look like a really cool and inexpensive alternative.

I have never heard of a plywood tank bursting/breaking - at least no one on the net has admitted it. There are several stories about these tanks lasting 20 years.

What did you use to seal the tank, and if it's well constructed, what would keep it from lasting more than hald a decade?

What did you use to seal the tank, and if it's well constructed, what would keep it from lasting more than hald a decade?

I'm not asking you to tip your hand.. but not including live stock, rock, sand, water salt etc. Approx what did this project cost?