Skimmate Cup Drain Adapter

tygger

Do you have a drain already on you skimmer? If so, can you use a John-Guest type quick connect elbow? It would depend on the outside diameter of your drain line.

That's 15/32" inside diameter according to your link. The outside diameter (OD) will be the relevant dimension that you're looking for. The data in the link could be bad, but it's CoralVue's page, so you'd expect them to have it right. Do you have a pair of calipers that you can use to measure it? If it is 15/32", you may find that a half-inch quick connect elbow will work just fine. According to Grainger, there is a 12 mm elbow made by John Guest, just so you know the part is out there. After confirming the OD of your drain tube, try searching on "12mm push to connect plastic elbow" (or whatever size you need) and see what you turn up. You can also try ebay, searching on "12mm John Guest elbow." I just turned up options there.

I do have calipers... Will measure to verify. That elbow has a 15/32 ID, so I assumed the drain nipple on the cup had a 15/32 outer diameter. Thanks for the suggestions.

I do have calipers... Will measure to verify. That elbow has a 15/32 ID, so I assumed the drain nipple on the cup had a 15/32 outer diameter. Thanks for the suggestions.

That could be. I read, "Rubber 90 degree elbow for 15/32" ID drain tubing" to mean that the drain tubing had a 15/32" ID rather than the elbow having a 15/32" ID. If it's the latter, you're looking for a 12mm elbow it seems.

Good point. Confusing description at best. I measured 12.23mm with my calipers.

I've only used John Guest fittings for the RO/DI tubing. Would they connect securely to drain cup nipple? I was originally considering a rubber elbow similar to the CoralVue version. 

Edited by tygger

Good point. Confusing description at best. I measured 12.23mm with my calipers.

I've only used John Guest fittings for the RO/DI tubing. Would they connect securely to drain cup nipple? I was originally considering a rubber elbow similar to the CoralVue version. 

Run over to Home Depot or Lowes and try picking up a 1/2-inch quick connect elbow. It may work just fine and, if it didn't, you could always take it back after checking the fit. Since the drain is not under any sort of pressure, it may work just fine.