New to the forums - Centreville, VA

Morning, everyone! I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm not new to saltwater but it's been nearly 10 years since I kept a reef tank (had a lovely 90 gallon LPS dominant tank that crashed and burned while I was on vacation... and I didn't have the heart or budget to start over at that time). I've been itching to set up a new tank for a while and I'm finally ready to start picking up the pieces I'll need - hoping to snag as much as I can secondhand to help keep the initial expenditure down so my husband doesn't realize how much this is going to cost long-term. ;) I'm doing a lot of reading - there's a lot of new tech since I had my last tank - LED lighting is entirely new to me, and the all in one setups are more impressive than they used to be. The latter is appealing, though 30 gallons seems so small compared to my old baby! I doubt I'll be able to talk the other half into more than 55-65 gal though. Anyways - I'm rambling - happy to have a local resource and looking forward to getting back into the hobby! 

Hi and welcome back to the hobby! Boy, I certainly know that sunk-heart feeling that follows a tank crash and how hard it can be to start going forward again. Sometimes a break is just what's needed. Ten years is long enough, wouldn't you say? :thumbsup:

A few things have definitely evolved since you were last in the hobby. Yes, LEDs have made deep inroads into the hobby. Many still use MH and T5 lighting, but few are using CFs anymore, or even VHOs. However, each still has its advocates. LED's started gaining traction with hobbyist DIY setups but have progressed considerably to commercial setups at a bunch of different price points with a whole range of capabilities. You'll also find that aquarium controllers have evolved and that the choices are a bit more expanded now. 

You probably have the background to make something like a 30-gallon AIO work for you. Though, if you want something a bit more custom, give some thought to building a setup around a 40-breeder or even a 22 long. Our former membership director (YHSublime) has a  nice 22 long that he recently started building and is documenting in this build thread

Anyway, welcome to WAMAS!

Thanks! I'm hoping to lean towards the bigger side (22 gal just seems so limiting) - doesn't a 65 have the same footprint as a 40 breeder?

Is there a good local source for pre-drilled tanks?

I tried to find a photo of my previous tank and could only find one from its very early days. Man, it just brings the heartbreak back all over again... hahaha. Can't wait to get a new setup together.

post-2636595-0-63809300-1518631949_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keannis

Thanks! I'm hoping to lean towards the bigger side (22 gal just seems so limiting) - doesn't a 65 have the same footprint as a 40 breeder?

Is there a good local source for pre-drilled tanks?

I tried to find a photo of my previous tank and could only find one from its very early days. Man, it just brings the heartbreak back all over again... hahaha. Can't wait to get a new setup together.

A 65 is very close to the same footprint. It's deeper and that means more light to penetrate more water. A lot of us drill our tanks ourselves and install after-market overflows. It often results in less space being taken up inside the tank. However, there are plenty of members that have pre-drilled ("reef ready") tanks. As for a source, I'll let others chime in. I've not shopped for a tank in a very long time.