Building a frag tank rack

I’d like to convert this rack used to grow out our seedlings that we no longer use into a few levels of frag tanks. 3525c40d295a279c219843b1b884a408.jpg

My number one concern is weight. If there is a way to strengthen the whole structure, even if it doesn’t need it, i would have peace of mind. I plan to put a large aquaponics tray on each of the top three levels with a large sump for a refugium and growing brine shrimp maybe. Each light fixture has 4x 48” bulbs which i will replace with ATI. I like the idea of ordering coral by the box from livestock USA because of the mystery but the prices are crazy and i don’t really think it’s great for the environment. I will probably take some of my favorite corals to grow out and frag here instead. Or maybe a rock anemone breeding tank? If anyone has any insight on what trays to buy, how to strengthen the frame, or how to plump the setup give me a shout! Im pretty new to that kind of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mari.harutunian

My concern would be the affects of weight over time and that the stand would not hold up long term. Looking at the stand, it appears that each level is about 48”x24”. A frag tank, that size 6” deep would be 30gal each (90g total). The sump at only 8” deep would be 40g, making your total water volume 130g. A gallon of sea water is 8.6# making the total weight of the water 1,118#.

It may not sound like that much weight but I wouldn’t try it even if you reinforced it. Plus the cost to reinforce that stand wouldn’t be much less than buying the steel and welding up a rack specifically made for that application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My concern would be the affects of weight over time and that the stand would not hold up long term. Looking at the stand, it appears that each level is about 48”x24”. A frag tank, that size 6” deep would be 30gal each (90g total). The sump at only 8” deep would be 40g, making your total water volume 130g. A gallon of sea water is 8.6# making the total weight of the water 1,118#.

It may not sound like that much weight but I wouldn’t try it even if you reinforced it. Plus the cost to reinforce that stand wouldn’t be much less than buying the steel and welding up a rack specifically made for that application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think i agree. I really hate to separate the lights from the frame but i might just do that. I’m pretty sure they are removable and can be put back if i really needed. Might just make a classic wooden stand with space for a 40 gallon sump and put these lights over each with ATI bulbs for the coral. Thanks for the input!

(edited)

I agree with not trusting that frame with that amount of weight stacked on it. Have you looked at the specs for those ballasts? Are they designed for 54w t5 bulbs?

The bulbs in them are not 54w and they are unmarked fixtures from growerssupplyco. Trying to find the exact setup but i don’t see it and it was bought Years ago. Hope i am able to do something with this..

Edited by mari.harutunian

Guess I’m scrapping this idea bc of the weight. Why can’t frag tanks and lights be cheap