sand-coated CL manifold

treesprite

Been working on the closed loop for a 50 gallon Oceanic tank with a 36x18 footprint.

It is a bottom of tank manifold, so I need to use more sand to cover it up. However, I don't want to end up with an in-tank DSB which could get messed up and kill everything. I decided to try coating the up-facing parts with sand. I wasn't sure how to do it at first, but then saw some stuff about using silicone, so that is what I did.The two back outputs are painted black to blend in with the painted black tank back, so I can point them upward more behind the rockwork.

post-1671-0-57386900-1511184303_thumb.jpg

post-1671-0-00712500-1511184346_thumb.jpg

post-1671-0-32136900-1511184432_thumb.jpg

post-1671-0-20355200-1511184466_thumb.jpg

post-1671-0-79138200-1511184508_thumb.jpg

There are two pipes in the back, one near each end, to be fed using a 3/4" SCWD, I didn't want most of the flow coming out of the back outputs, so I used 1/2" pipe in the back section between the two pipes where those outputs are, and 1/2" 45s. I want to aim those back outputs up more, so I painted them black  to blend in with a black painted tank back. The manidold sections going from the feed pipes to around the sides to the front outputs, are 3/4" pipe, with 3/4" outputs. Since I will be using a SCWD, I wanted some restriction between the front outputs, so the section of manifold between the two front outputs is only 1/2" pipe. The black pipe with holes is my CL intake pipe. This is my first closed loop, and I'm am hoping the design will work out okay.

I should have sanded the PVC first and forgot, in spite of the fact that I had gotten sand paper to do it.

I don't know about putting screens over outputs. I imagine it would block flow. Snails would be the only thing going against flow into a pipe, but most snails don't go on the sand bed, and snails like nassarius bury in the sand and usually don't hang out on hard surfaces exposed to all that flow.

Welcome back to 1990. We made those things in a bazillion combinations and used every pump imaginable to power them.

Then cheap powerheads came out and that was the end of those contraptions.

I made one sandwiched between flat rocks to make an arch 32" across and 24" high on my very firat service account, a 380 gal reef.

People still use CLs because they can do things powerheads can't do, and because people don't always want powerheads in their tanks.

I actually almost bought a set of controllable low profile powerheads I saw. But I changed my mind because powerheads could not prevent the problem I used to have, of mats of featherduster spaghetti in dirt sauce. The only way to stop is was take out sand, but I like a little sand.

If anyone has ideas for a CL pump around 1k gph in a reasonable price range, let me know. I was thinking of getting a DCT 4000 because they are controllable.

Edited by treesprite