Please ID this algae for me

larryag59

If anyone is able to ID this algae growing in a few clumps in my tank  and let me know whether or not it is beneficial, it would be greatly appreciated.  I have a 14g BioCube tank with probably 10g or less of actual water after accounting for rock. Parameters have been reading withing acceptable levels.  Using ROI water.

Thank you,

Larry

Now nearly a year with my first effort at a saltwater tank

post-2636307-0-56659500-1504468265_thumb.jpg

post-2636307-0-45385700-1504468277_thumb.jpg

cant really tell by the pictures because of the quality, but im going to say its green hair algae.  looks likes there is cyano around it too. 

excess nutrients in the tank are going to cause this, whether its over feeding, high bio load, or not enough water changes. 

try to remove as much as you can manually then do a water change. you could try shortening your light cycle but if the nutrients are there to grow, light wont do too much. 

what fish are in the tank? how often do you do water changes and how much? how old are you lights? 

Hard to say based on the photos.  Could be any green filamentous algae, including Derbesia, Bryopsis, "Munter algae," small-bladed Caulerpa, or several others.  For most people, the answer to "is it beneficial?" is a pretty definite no.  

What you do depends on the species, and the photos aren't helpful in that regard.  Derbesia usually fades after a while.  Bryopsis and Munter algae seem to thrive in fairly clean conditions, so may need more drastic methods.  

What are your water parameters (NO3, PO4, alkalinity) specifically?  "Within acceptable levels" means a lot of things to a lot of people.

• 2 weeks later...