Power Outage

Roca135790

So I get an email leaving work about a power outage. I rush home to make sure my sump did in fact hold all the water the siphoned from the main tank. I only calculated the baffle heights and test tried it once before setting up the tank. Thankfully no water spillage but it was full to the brim haha. I knew it shouldn't but it was a bit scary driving home panicking. I closed the ball valves to the return and overflow and moved most of the water back to the display.

Power has been gone about 2 and a half hours so far. I'm using a pitcher and mixing the water for couple minutes every 15 mins or so right now in my 40 breeder and with a glass in my 20L. So far everything seems ok. None of my fish seem to be gasping and corals have a look of night time polyp extension with no sliming as best as I can tell. BGE says power should be up "soon"....

Anyone have any advise outside of getting a generator? Haha

Maybe I'll go get a battery air pump when my girlfriend gets home.

Yikes.  Power outages are stressful.  I'd definitely recommend a battery powered air pump.  The ones I've gotten in the past are truly garbage, but 1 out of 3 worked, lol.  

You do want to keep some water movement in there for the coral.  They can't move, so they depend on the water moving in order to breathe.  They basically suffocate in perfectly still water.  The fish swimming around will help a bit, but the work you're doing with the water pitcher helps too. 

Power came back on after 4:30 hours of stress lol

Fish are fine, pretty much all corals look good. My blasto is pretty shrivelled up but it had been like that for a couple days now. All other corals have their polyps out so I would say it looks like a happy ending.

I'll definitely invest in a couple of those battery air pumps though. Good for power outages and even for some fishing trips :)

Or car battery with inverter will run a lot on anything with regular wall plugs. My inverter does 300watts. That's a return pump, power head and maybe a 100w heater. On a fresh battery it will go quite awhile.