Finally figured out how to take good aquarium photo

arking_mark

Accurate white and actinic representations!

Raw images from Samsung Galaxy with custom white balance using Google Snapseed app.eee8f443c173d23c196973dae195b944.jpg37bd1992577399af341a9346f5daea31.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Very  nice, Mark! I'll have to check the app out. Which version of the Galaxy do you have?

This is the Galaxy S8+, but should work on any android phone with RAW picture capture and a post processing software that allows for custom white balance. The key is having a white object like sand to set the custom white balance on.

Should also be able to do this with any camera with raw picture camera and post processing software.

Apparently advance cameras have this feature built in...using a white object under the currently lighting to set the white balance and then snapping the picture.

I've got an old Kodak gray card that we used to use for white balance back in the day. However, it's large and shouldn't get wet.

I've got some old, 2" white PVC strips that came from some Venetian blinds that would probably be perfect as a white reference.

I have an S7. I'll have to look more closely at the white balance on the camera and camera software that I have on it. 

Have you tried your phones camera "Pro" mode yet? In there, you can set your white balance to 10,000 (no app required) and will it take a pretty accurate shot with no post processing (in JPEG or RAW formats). This will give you a broader range to work with while post processing as well. 

(edited)

Tried pro mode with color temp adjustment. It's not nearly as good.

Bummer, always nice when you can get 'em without much effort. Regardless, getting the WB as close as possible while taking the picture will allow you to fine tune it even further post processing. Great shot up there though    :tongue:

Edited by madweazl