Algae or parasite?

Jeskay14

Is it hard? It could be branching coralline algae and it could irritate the hammer by poking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it hard? It could be branching coralline algae and it could irritate the hammer by poking it.

not sure, I can check later. If it is how do I go about removing it? Just scraping it off?

not sure, I can check later. If it is how do I go about removing it? Just scraping it off?

Yeah you would just break it off. You could keep it too. Branching coralline is pretty cool. Just curious, have you had red dragon acro before? It looks just like red dragon but I don't think they do polyp bailout.

Yeah you would just break it off. You could keep it too. Branching coralline is pretty cool. Just curious, have you had red dragon acro before? It looks just like red dragon but I don't think they do polyp bailout.

. I'm not sure, I got a acro on a rock I bought from KOC but it got crushed from bad packaging. Half is still alive and doing well.

. I'm not sure, I got a acro on a rock I bought from KOC but it got crushed from bad packaging. Half is still alive and doing well.

5c1a02658211e9cdd14fdc4ed27cdb89.jpg

Like this?

Looks like a foraminiferan to me. I'd just leave them.

Yeah you're right. 2269623f126d6f489b76091b4d491896.jpg

Could it still be irritating the hammer though?

Seems unlikely.  I have never seen adverse affects.

Do you feed your hammer at all? A piece of mysis shrimp one or twice a week per head and it should bounce back. I doubt whatever it is growing on it is the cause. Could be too much flow also.

(edited)

it defiantly look like foraminiferan, and I would have to think that it's the problem as that's the only hammer in my tank with a problem.

Edited by Jeskay14

Do you feed your hammer at all? A piece of mysis shrimp one or twice a week per head and it should bounce back. I doubt whatever it is growing on it is the cause. Could be too much flow also.

I had though both of those as well but there is another hammer on the same disk as it that's doing perfectly fine. And I feed al my corals polyp lab reef roof every week or two.

heres the deal with Euphylliads- 

They grow a fleshy sheath around the head and down the base all the way to the next branch intersection in a healthy specimen.

When these corals are fragged, this fleshy sheath is cut and the skeletal structure also is cut, exposing the inside of the coral to water. When water gets into it from underneath, it causes the coral to wither and die- sometimes. Sometimes the coral is healthy enough to grow the sheath again, sealing the skeletal structure from water intrusion  and allowing it to grow into another colony.

When you buy Euphylliad frags, check the condition of the fleshy sheath- if it doesn't extend past the head, the coral is declining and will most likely die. When the flesh recedes, all sorts of things grow on the newly exposed surface, sometimes increasing the likelihood that it will soon die.

In the case of the picture above, the boring green algae and foramniferans have colonised that exposed skeletal area, which will lead to the demise of that head.

Thanks Rob, for the good explanation.

heres the deal with Euphylliads-

They grow a fleshy sheath around the head and down the base all the way to the next branch intersection in a healthy specimen.

When these corals are fragged, this fleshy sheath is cut and the skeletal structure also is cut, exposing the inside of the coral to water. When water gets into it from underneath, it causes the coral to wither and die- sometimes. Sometimes the coral is healthy enough to grow the sheath again, sealing the skeletal structure from water intrusion and allowing it to grow into another colony.

When you buy Euphylliad frags, check the condition of the fleshy sheath- if it doesn't extend past the head, the coral is declining and will most likely die. When the flesh recedes, all sorts of things grow on the newly exposed surface, sometimes increasing the likelihood that it will soon die.

In the case of the picture above, the boring green algae and foramniferans have colonised that exposed skeletal area, which will lead to the demise of that head.

I have a head that I bought from pacific east. On one side the sheath has completely pulled back but the other 3/4 of the torch are not. Is there a way to stop this? Can it be caused by flow?