Home Welder needed

phisigs79

I need to find a welder to install two pole braces in my basment and removing my center one so that i can install my tank in the wall. Let me know if you all know anyone that can do this. Some of your are prob thinking that I am crazy but the way i look at it two poles evenly laid out is better that one in the center!

Chris,

I was a certified welder years ago! ;)

Where you going to setup the tank where we put the 75g at?

#1 I would STRONGLY recommend you consult an engineer before moving ANY load bearing brace!

#2 ah above again! :)

In finishing my basement, I removed a pole supporting an I-beam. The span was 20 feet in total, with one column in the midde (i.e. 2, 10-foot spans). One end was buried in the poured concrete wall, and the other on a column.

I consulted a certified engineer - got a stamped and approved drawing - I didn't want the house to fall.

In the end, the solution was to weld a 1/2 inch plate to both sides of the I-beam - but for only the middle 10 feet. I expected the design to call for adding the plates the entire 20 feet of the I-beam, but the engineer said I only needed to support the middle 10 feet.

I did this 2+ years ago, and have had no issue - no bounce upstairs, and no cracking drywall downstairs.

-Carl