Two questions

larryag59

Question # 1:

Did my first water test after 10 days of cycling using live sand, sea water (purchased) and one damsel No live rock. Here are the readings, to the best of my judgment, using color-coded testing kit.  Tank is 14g Biocube (about 10g actual water after rock & sand).  Please comment:

PH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0.25 PPM

Nitrites: 0 PPM

Nitrates: 0 PPM

Question #2:

Am seeing what looks like "dust pariticles" infesting the otherwise clear water.  They look like the dust particles you see dancing in a shaft of light. These particles are not visible under LED light.  Any signifcance?

Please add any other comments that might be helpful.  Not sure what, if anything I should be doing at this point.

Thanks!

Edited by larryag59

Looks like your tank is not cycled. One small fish (unless you overfeed) shouldn't cause any ammonia to show up in a cycled tank. Most live sands are not truly live. I would go and buy a small piece of live rock (not dry rock) to seed the tank. I feel strongly against cycling a tank with fish. Although damsels are tough and hardy, ammonia and soon nitrite is rough on fish. This is a whole different discussion though...

As for the sand, it will have small particles that are typically removed when it's rinsed off. I'm assuming you didn't rinse it since it was "live." You can run mechanical filtration (e.g. filter sock, hob filter, etc) to remove the small particles from the water column. If it is a fine grain sand then try to avoid having a powerhead pointed straight at it. The sand particles will get weighed down over time as it ages in the tank.

The substrate is aragonnite, and I was assured that it was a very recent delivery that should prove to be live.  And as you said, I did not rinse it off.  Should particles be expected in aragonnite as well?  And is it still a good idea to get a piece of live rock?

Cycling typically takes 6 weeks, but live rock could speed the process up depending on what rock you get. Typical rule of thumb is one pound of rock per gallon of water. Regardless of which way you go you will eventually see nitrites start to form and ammonia drop off and then nitrates start to form and nitrites will drop off. It takes awhile for the various bacteria to show up on their own so additives or actual live rock can help speed it up.

Edited by Rob A

The bacteria will grow on all surfaces. Live rock is porous and provides more surface area for bacteria to colonize. That's why live rock is typically considered the main biological filter. Were you planning on adding rock eventually?

Are you still seeing ammonia? Have you tested for nitrites? A piece of live rock, e.g 5lbs can help seed the bacteria and speed up the cycling if so. You can add Seachem Prime (PetSmart or LFS should carry it) to help detoxify the ammonia and nitrites while the cycle completes.

Edited by WheresTheReef

I bought what I believe was called "shelf rock", not live rock, but was told that the live sand was recently delivered, and should supply the needed bacteria.  There is really no room to add more rock, unless a small piece of live rock would make a difference?

Bacteria will grow with the presence of an ammonia source. Adding live sand/rock speeds up the process as it provides the initial bacteria which will multiply/die off based on the bioload. I would continue testing for ammonia and nitrite (don't worry about nitrAtes yet). If neither is present over the course of a week or so, then your initial cycling is good and you can add livestock slowly. If one/both show up then IMHO you should consider getting rid of the fish and adding a different ammonia source until your cycle is complete. Seachem Prime will detoxify the ammonia/nitrites so I would add it at a minimum if you keep the fish in the uncycled tank.

Edited by WheresTheReef