Digitate Hydroids

ReefAddict

I ended up having some a couple years ago. I was unaware I had them until I started dosing vitamin C and amino acids and they exploded in growth. I reasearched them and the only thing I know that will kill them is interceptor for dogs. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK read up on it and make that call on your own

I removed any crabs I had and crushed a whole pill up and mixed it in a solo cup with tank water to dissolve it and dumped it in. After that I took the collection cup off my skimmer and let it over flow for a couple days. After 3 days I did a 30% water change and put the cup back on. For a whole week I watched and nothing happened, they were all still there. A few days later I looked and most of them were gone. I did a follow up treatment 3 weeks after that and have never seen one again.

To this day I don't know if the interceptor killed them or just everything they were eating so they just died of starvation. I know all my pods died and an emerald crab that I couldn't get out died. It did not effect my micro brittle stars or bristle worms. I also was very careful to just feed my fish the bare minimum to cut down on the xtra food floating around.

One last time, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I introduced 2 peppermint shrimp into the DT and I haven't seen one since.  I read somewhere they may eat them so I figured it was worth a shot and sure enough I don't see them anymore. Maybe a coincidence, but either way they appear to be gone for now!

Anyone have any experience with these?  I have noticed 1-2 in one of my tanks.  Should I worry about them?  I haven't been able to find out a lot about them. 

I would not take any chances with them. I would get rid of them at the speed of light. With some pests, once they get out of control, you've lost the battle. I once had "colonial hydroids" (not sure if they are the same but they look similar). I took the rock out of my tank and drilled a hole several inches into the rock right where the hydroid was. Rinsed out the hole and the hydroids came back in the same place. Nuke them now!

Peppermint shrimp seem to have done the trick.  I put them in before I went on vacation, when I came back all the hydroids were gone.  Colonial I think are much worse, the digitate are just little white sweepers that sway back and forth mostly visible after lights out.  I've read the sting and can irritate corals so I wanted them gone.