Baffles for Sump

Guest Tomsimtim

Guest Tomsimtim

Does anyone know of a source to buy Lexan/acrylic to make baffles for a sump?

Tim

I bought a small sheet of acrylic at Home Depot to make my baffles. There is a specialty store off of Edsall Road that sells acrylic sheets in various sizes. I can't remember the name of the place, I'll try to look it up in the phone book.

Sump can be anything you want them to be as far as designs go, but FWIW, the next time I do a sump, I'm going to make sure that where the returns go into the tank, that some type of lid is in that area! The splashing and popping of air bubbles, causes ALOT of salt creep in that area. Food for thought! :drink:

Guest Tomsimtim

Sump can be anything you want them to be as far as designs go, but FWIW, the next time I do a sump, I'm going to make sure that where the returns go into the tank, that some type of lid is in that area! The splashing and popping of air bubbles, causes ALOT of salt creep in that area. Food for thought! :drink:

That is the way I have my sump of my 46 Bow set up. I have covers on two of the three chambers. Thanks for the scoop. It is always nice to hear what pitfalls others have run into to avoid them in the future.

Tim

Thanks for all of the sources, I did not know acrylic was so widely available at the retail level.

Tim

That is the way I have my sump of my 46 Bow set up. I have covers on two of the three chambers. Thanks for the scoop. It is always nice to hear what pitfalls others have run into to avoid them in the future.

Tim

Thanks for all of the sources, I did not know acrylic was so widely available at the retail level.

Tim

make sure you get thick acrylic... there is some at L/HD that is really thin and will bow.

Guest Tomsimtim

Yes, I have heard that. I was thinking of using 1/2". And one more question. Can I use a regular rotary saw to cut it???

Tim

1/4" should be fine unless it's a wide deep tank.

You can use a circular saw with a plywood blade or another high number tooth blade.

Carbide tip is the best.

M. T. C. O.

Guest Tomsimtim

It is just a 20G Long, the 1/4" should be appropriate. Thanks for the circular saw information. I should be good to go.

Tim

• 5 weeks later...
Guest oddball1972

Acme Plastics in Alexandria.

You can buy sheet scrap by the #.

do you know if they also sell "weld-on " ?

Guest oddball1972

what about a full 4x8 sheet do they sell that as well ?