Trouble w/ Rainford's Goby

offdutyninja1

Hello all!

I recently started a tank, and added a Rainford's Goby.

The problem I've encountered is that after a week, I can't get him to eat.  The store associate suggested that he would eat sinking pellets, but to no avail.  I got him to eat live brine for a day or two, but he seems to have lost interest.  What else can I try to feed him?  In addition, when should I give up and try to take him back to the store or give him away so he doesn't starve?

Thanks for any and all help!

Freezed dried Cyclopeez/cyclops/pods are your best bet. .Other options: fish roe, small pacific krill, New Life International Spectrum Thera A 0.5mm Small Sinking pellets, coral food.

Its probably the size of the food your feeding why it's not eating.

Depending on where you live, I have some you can try if you would like.

Edited by sethsolomon

Tiny foods, as Seth explained. I used Nutramar, but someone mentioned in another post that there were problems getting it. I also used Microcenter; it is hard for humans to see the tiny particles, but the fish can see them. If you notice the fish darting at what looks like nothing, it is probably some tiny tasty particle.

Those gobies like to pick for tiny animals out of certain types of algae, hence got a mistaken reputation for being algae eaters. I can't remember the algae species that the favored morsels live in, but if you have any medium stringy micro algae growing in the back of the tank, leave a patch there.

OOPS stupid phone!

Microvert, not Microcenter.

I really don't think Microcenter would fit in the fish mouth.

Dang, the fish store sold me the 1mm pellets! Though he doesn't even attempt to poke at them, so I'm unsure he knows they are food.

Seth - I live in Vienna, and would love to take you up on your offer!

Others: is there anywhere local that sells microvert/frozen mysis?

Microvert is a Kent brand product, probably can be found in a big box pet store. I found it very useful in the past.

Mine eats black worms. He goes after them and snatches them right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by aquamom