Can u use an Oxygen tank/Regulator for Calcium?

HowardofNOVA

My dearly departed Grandma had a 5g Oxygen Tank with regulator that she never used for her emphyzema. Can I use this as a Calcium Regulator if I attach a bubble counter to it?

I left it in PA, but will be going back 7Jul for a family reunion and could bring it home then.

It depends whether it has a low flow regulator w/ gauge and a fine adjustment needle valve. Champion sells them (needle valves) so you can add it if it doesn't.

I'm sure you can trade the O tank for a CO2 tank upon fill up.

Sorry to hear about Grandma.

Thanks Chip!

Appreciate it! Sorry that the X didn't take my recommendations to p/u the flowers from you, she order flowers with Birds Of Paradise and got a $75.vase of white daisy's with a big Yellow Bow! Nice setting but not what she order!

Mother and sisters where RAVING about her Mothers Day assortment you sent for me, THANKS Again!

If all goes well and I get my tank up and running by mid June, will bring it back from PA in July!

Howard

Guest HVF21221

Like Chip said, the threads are different. A O2 regulator will not thread onto a CO2 tank. I'm not sure what kind of adapter would be needed. I believe alot of the gasses are done that way so you can't accidentally screw your regulator on the wrong tank. This safety feature is very important when doing burning/welding.

When I was a welder, I remember Oxygen and Acetylene Tanks had opposite threads, but not sure about Calcium Tanks?

Ok, with all of these adapters, might be cheaper to just get a new unit, but will have to wait until I bring down for the "Experts" to make the final decision! ;)

BUT, looks like I might be on to something...will see!

I was wondering about the same. I have a dive tank that I was looking to convert so I don't have to get the small bottle filled so often. Anyone do this?

It sounds like false economy to me. O2 and CO2 tanks have different threads and seats, because the risk of a mixup killing someone is very high. Definitely trade in the tank for a CO2 tank.

You would be better off selling the O2 tank and regulator on Craig's List and use the money toward a CO2 tank with appropriate valve and regulator.

Thanks Gang!

Back to the drawing board!

Will recommend Mom to sell it or donate to charity!

Howard