Baffles coming off

edress714

So I'm a noob in the sump game. was excited I finally got it all set up but now one of the baffle is almost detached. it's a acrylic sump and the baffle us a form of acrylic, I think. it's black and it was used in another sump but as a baffle that slips into place. I used silicone to attach it. do I have to stop and take it all apart and try again? please help. thanks

Silicone doesn't work very well on plastic or acrylic. There are special glues for acrylic... hopefully someone who knows that stuff will come along and give suggestions.

Silicone sealant doesn't provide a great bond with acrylic (you wouldn't use it for structural strength) but you can use it to set baffles in a sump using two beads running up either side of the baffle as long as there's not a lot of pressure on the baffle. Using something like Weldon 16 would give you a stronger joint with strength.

I have used silicone on baffles, on both sides with an amount that would be excessive on glass, and every time I did it, the silicone eventually separated and peeled (That was before I broke a couple tanks and then took apart a few old tanks, which gave me a large supply of various sizes of glass).

I think there is some kind of way to make baffle-holding strips rather than use sealant, but I can't remember it... maybe someone else can give info about it (another instance of me giving half information - sorry).

I ordered some weldon 16. will take the sump out Wednesday and glue it again. thanks for the tips

That's probably the best approach.

BTW, Forrest may be referring to a technique that I read about years ago where some people would use adhesive closed-cell weather stripping on the sides and bottom of a baffle and, by angling it in and giving it a little twist could friction-fit a baffle into a sump well enough to make the sump reconfigurable.