Drain pipe question

Irishfist25

So i have a 180g with 2 drains going into my sump.  originally the water enters the sump and falls approx 6 inches before hitting the surface of the water in the sump.  I use a large filter sock that covers both drains and that helps to eliminate splashing, but it is very loud.  So earlier tonight i inserted a piece of PVC into each drain pipe which extended it a couple inches below the water level.  it eliminated the noise and made a HUGE difference.  The PVC pieces are easy to pull out of the drain so its easy to remove them when changing out the filter socks.  My question is, Is there anything wrong with having the drain pipe submerged under the sump water level?  It didnt seem to change the level in my sump at all and i cant think of any reason why it is bad to do this.  but im still new in this hobby and overlook things sometimes.  Any info on this subject is appreciated.  Thank you

No problem at all and actually that's what the recommended action is to reduce the drain noise by most manufacturers / reefers  :cool:

No problem at all and actually that's what the recommended action is to reduce the drain noise by most manufacturers / reefers :cool:

+1.

Ok good, I've been trying to search online and hadn't found anything other than some people talking about backflow being a problem.

I'm not sure what type of overflow you're using but you typically dont want the extension tubes to go much further than about an inch below the water surface. Beananimal systems are sensitive to the length of tubing between the main and secondary channels; if the main extends further below the surface than the secondary, the secondary will typically become your main because there is less resistance. Otherwise, definitely need the tubes! 

Look at herbie method or beananimal method and you will see it is recommend to submerse the drain pipe below the water surface to reduce the noise

I didn't see where you indicate what type of drain goes from your tank to the sump.  Hopefully they are overflow drains.  It should be obvious that any drain that doesn't have a siphon break should not go underwater in your sump.  But any surface drain/weir/overflow automatically has this siphon break and will not cause you any drain problems.

I didn't see where you indicate what type of drain goes from your tank to the sump.  Hopefully they are overflow drains.  It should be obvious that any drain that doesn't have a siphon break should not go underwater in your sump.  But any surface drain/weir/overflow automatically has this siphon break and will not cause you any drain problems.

Why would it matter if the tube extended below the waters surface in the sump? Air entering the stand pipe in the display would dictate whether or not it went full siphon.