ASM G3 with Sedra 9000?

rebekwl

We currently have an ASM G3 skimmer - it works like a boss on our 92 gallon corner.  I know it's rated for up to 250 gallons, so I think we would be pushing it trying to use it on the 225 upgrade.  HOWEVER, what if we upgraded to the Sedra 9000 for better performance?  Will it work with the G3 or will this be overkill?  I've done a little bit of research on this, and a lot of folks are asking about it, but it doesn't look like many have actually tried it.  Has anyone heard of this being done successfully?  If not, maybe we will try it, maybe we will just upgrade to the G4+.  Thoughts?

The ASM G3 came with a Sedra 5000, didn't it? According to the web, that pump drew 450 lph of air and consumed 19 Watts of power. The Sedra 9000, by comparison, draws 1050 lph of air while consuming 45 Watts. The biggest issues that I see are 1) Can the plumbing handle the extra volume of water flowing through the skimmer and 2) is the neck wide and long enough to handle the extra air? There's at least a couple of mentions of this configuration being successful, though, in this old RC thread from 2010.

(edited)

The ASM G3 came with a Sedra 5000, didn't it? According to the web, that pump drew 450 lph of air and consumed 19 Watts of power. The Sedra 9000, by comparison, draws 1050 lph of air while consuming 45 Watts. The biggest issues that I see are 1) Can the plumbing handle the extra volume of water flowing through the skimmer and 2) is the neck wide and long enough to handle the extra air? There's at least a couple of mentions of this configuration being successful, though, in this old RC thread from 2010.

yea, seems like it's hit or miss.

Edited by rebekwl

There is a Asm g4+ for sale on another site for good price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oh is there?  we'd definitely like to look into that. Would you mind pm'ing the link over to me?