Ideas about tank watching

mogurnda

In late June, I will be going away for three weeks, two of which I will have little or no connectivity.  My wife will be home to watch those tanks, and I have a neighbor who is a WAMAS member who can help out.

The problem is the slug system in my office in Rockville.  It consists of four tanks plumbed to a sump, used for growing slugs and algae.  It is run by an Apex, which allows remote monitoring and control.  The problem, though, is that the field station in Baja has very limited bandwidth, with frequent outages.  Plus, the ATO will need to be filled, and sponges will need to be squeezed out every week or so to keep flow going.  The plumbing is not very elaborate, but working with it would require experience with multi-tank systems.

I am just starting to get serious about this, so I am looking for recommendations for a service that works up here or an experienced member who would be willing to help out in exchange for cash, frags, or labor.

Here's what it looked like about six months ago.  The only change is the addition of LED lights to all tanks.

2377_ElysiaSystem122215-683x1024.jpg

Zygote2k works for Tanks for your Business.  I think he does still, at least.  I have worked with them once on getting the tank set up in our daycare and they may be able to give you a price on a few trips to your office.  They have people up here in Maryland that do service.

Zygote2k works for Tanks for your Business.  I think he does still, at least.  I have worked with them once on getting the tank set up in our daycare and they may be able to give you a price on a few trips to your office.  They have people up here in Maryland that do service.

+1, Rob came and plumbed my new DT in Rockville and as Alan said, he has a colleague as well in the area.

I guess one concern would be would access, not sure how secure your building is and what the protocol would be to have someone unknown come in.

Joshua at Batfish Aquatics can help. He's in Silver Spring.

http://www.batfishaquatics.com

batfishaquatics@gmail.com

+1, Rob came and plumbed my new DT in Rockville and as Alan said, he has a colleague as well in the area.

I guess one concern would be would access, not sure how secure your building is and what the protocol would be to have someone unknown come in.

Will touch base with Rob and Batfish, thanks.  

USG is an open campus, and parking is free at the moment.  We have a security guard at the door, but a friendly "hello" will get you into the building.  I can introduce whoever does the work to the small cohort at our end of the floor.  Aside from student records, which will be locked up, there is nothing valuable or sensitive in my office.

• 1 month later...

I am back, and Jason at Batfish Aquatics did a great job of keeping everything alive and happy.  It was not a simple system, but he paid enough attention to prevent clogs or the ATO running out.  One less thing to worry about when the preparations for Baja got progressively more complicated.  Plus, the price was very reasonable.  

Big shout out for the company!