Lighting question

DRotunda

Hi all, I am new to this forums and looking to start a new tank. I've been out of the hobby for many years but would like to start a small reef tank again. I am planning on getting the AIO Reef Crest 35 gallon. I'm trying to figure out lighting and Power Compact and MH were the gold standard when I was in the hobby previously. So I'm a bit overwhelmed by LED. I'm looking to have mostly soft corals but I would like a T. Derasa clam (or possibly a different species depending on needs). I would like to not spend a fortune but willing to spend enough to make sure I have a healthy tank.

I am drooling over the Al Hydra 52HD but not the price tag! My LFS recommended the Maxspect Razor Nano 70W led which has the price tag I like. I just want to make sure it's enough light for most corals and maybe some higher needs corals down the road.

Also, due to the tank placement I need a light that can clip onto the tank rather than suspend from ceiling.

Thanks in advance!

The it2060 on the board for sale would be all the light needed. I'm assuming your talking about the AA reef crest?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

(edited)

The it2060 on the board for sale would be all the light needed. I'm assuming your talking about the AA reef crest?

Sorry thought I was on Richmond reefer...

But a it2060 or photon 24 or similar would be plenty

Edited by khh27

I know the photon has mounting legs but other than that most all others would need some sort of custom mount. Unless you go the AI or Ecotech route that has special designed mounts

For low budget, anyone of those $90 black box led from ebay or amazon will do just fine. Unless you want bell and whistles, then you can step up to the programmable LEDs module such as Evergrow or similar models. 

Is there a certain watt per gallon or some sort of standard I need to look for? It seems there are so many options and any price point imagineable so it's hard to tell what is necessary!

Thanks for your input!

(edited)

Not so much these days it's more of light coverage and penetration most of the standard black boxes will cover 24x24 and give you about 27-30ish inches of usable penetration.

Just look at what the light as far as a single led fixture if its not a high end ai or radion a light in the 16-24" range should give you the 30" coverage needed. But If you want to go cheap and only softies and a clam directly underneath light a single black box may suffice. Some come with leg mounts some are hanging kit only

But most legs only suspend the fixture 5-6" off tank and you would need 8+ inches off for proper coverage depending on fixture

Edited by khh27