Thinking about getting a new tank, looking for some ideas

waboss

OK, so here's the deal.

I have a Red Sea Reefer 170, which I do like a lot and it's a H-E-double hockey sticks of a tank/stand/sump combo. What I don't like, and didn't realize until after I had it up for months, is that I'd really prefer a shallower tank with a little more length to it. It will have to stay at about the same volume as weight is an issue in my second story apartment.

So here's what I'm thinking at this point. Pick up a Deepblue 36x18x16 rimless, RR, tank and a R&J Oak Extreme stand.

Pro's

-36" in length vs. the 24 I have now. Allows a little more "room" for fish to swim and coral placement is easier (for me)

-Takes about 4" off the height of the tank

-Stand has a reputation for being built like a tank (which is one of the things I really like about the Reefer170 stand)

-Stand is a little taller (36") so plenty of room and better viewing for a shallower tank

-It's not a cube! Or cube-ish. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of cube tanks

Cons

-Money man....spending more bloody money! :)

-In relation to the first con, need to buy a good sump as well (probably a ruby trigger)

-All the mods I've done to my setup will be "lost" many won't tranferr over to the new system

-Have to get rid of my Reefer 170 once I've moved everything over

-Work involved in moving tanks....not a big deal, but is something to consider

So after taking the time to write this post, it's pretty evident that all the cons will there no matter what I do, if I switch tanks......so there's that!

Anyone have any helpful thoughts, comments, ideas?

You know, I really do like that tank, but it's an AIO and I want to stay with a sump and such.  So if I were to go that route, I'd need to remove the rear sections and either drill the tank (not a big deal) or use an overflow box.

I mean if I found a great deal on one, I might go that route.....just because it is a cool tank.  Thanks for the input!

Here's an idea:

Go for the Deep Blue 80 gallon. 48x24x16. You'll appreciate the extra foot, it will give you the perfect depth, and you'd be surprised about how shallow 16" is. If placed across the joist, you should be fine with a second story.

Get a metal stand made for it, and a decent sump. The tank will be big enough that you wont outgrow it quickly, and would accommodate more than your listed needs.

Con: Money.

Thanks for all the input so far!  I like the idea of a longer tank, and while I know it'll be safe as long as I run it across the joists, convincing my landlord is another thing.  My last tank, before I moved here, was 96x24x24.......the length was great!  On that tank, I made my own sump from a 75Gal and a refugium from a 40Gal, which all worked out well.  

I have considered, for about a NY minute, a cadlight tank and stand but I've seen, and heard, from folks, including people I know personally that their quality has dropped considerably.

I've even priced out a custom tank/stand from Reef Frenzy, Reefomania, and a couple of acrylic custom builders.  I'm not crazy about acrylic tanks but thought I'd check them out.  

I guess I'm kind of in a spot where I don't want to invest a ton in a custom tank as I plan to move within the next year or two, when I buy a house, and then I'll be going back to larger setup.

Decisions, decisions......

If you are going to buy a house in the next year or two, if it was me, all the money that would go into a new tank would go into my down payment or an account for a really large setup at the new place. Enjoy your current setup for the next year and go nuts and really get what you want when you have your own place.

I think there are many of us that are always wanting to setup the next tank and we forget to enjoy the ones we have. Every tank will have its pros and cons. I even go back and forth with my 250DD saying what if I had... There is no perfect tank, except for maybe Copps' tank haha