BRS Dosers do go bad..

Reefer_Madness

I've had a couple of BRS dosers go bad over the last couple of years. Generally if you hear the gears turning that means it is either bad or about to go bad. It has been my experience that the sound is not the gears turning. It is the fine teeth slipping. I've gotten good life out of them, but don't notice they are not working until I start testing parameters. Each one I have taken apart and found the same problem. Worn out teeth.

Keep an eye on your parameters and listen for your dosers. Just my 2 cents.

Yep. Exactly what happened when my 50ml went out. It went out slowly though. I noticed my ph dropping, so I started checking my alk everyday. It was low so I upped my Kalk dose rather than checking my doser. Eventually with my superior sleuthing skills I realized my corals can't be absorbing that much Kalk. It only took me a month to figure it out! Haha.

FWIW, I believe BRS suggests maintaining them (like all of our equipment) to some degree. 

So are you suppose to take it apart and lube the gears once a year or so? Did anyone keep the directions? Are they cheap plastic gears?

This was internal on both.  The small gears stripped. 

So are you suppose to take it apart and lube the gears once a year or so? Did anyone keep the directions? Are they cheap plastic gears?

I was remembering back to when I opened mine up, I can't seem to find the manual that came with them. Can't find a digital one either. Per the BRS website they say that the tubes, and the pump motor and head are warrantied for 12 months. They are only meant to be run for 4 hours per day, which is probably less than what you were running them at.

I wonder if what happened to you is an exception to the rule? You would think that if the gears were wearing down quickly on the inside for everybody, there would be a small revolution.

Yeah.  I have no idea.  I did the grease thing on the tube and made sure the wheels were good.  Not sure what happened.  I didn't see anyone else posting about them, so I figured I would share my experience.  Not a bad product, but they do go bad.  This last one I ran almost 2 hours per day.  Both were years old and one was purchased used so even more use.....