Has anyone ever taken the pin out of their refractometer?

Marc Weaver

I have a rusted pin where the plastic cover for the prism rotates.  Has anyone ever taken this pin out to clean it and re-assembled?  I don't really want to break the plastic cover.  It appears to be a friction fit somehow.  The rust makes the plastic hard to rotate and measurements are more difficult.

Edited by Marc Weaver

Yes. I've taken a few refractometers completely apart (sometimes just out of curiosity). There's no problem at all removing the pin that you're describing, cleaning it and reassembling it. Just use a really small pin punch or a jeweler's screwdriver to push it out. Over the years, I've received a couple of broken refractometers from people. In once case, the plastic flap was broken. It was easily replaced with another found on ebay. Installing it required pulling the pin that you've described to replace the flap.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom, I ordered a replacement after breaking my plastic cover.  The pins were very corroded and removing them was impossible.  I also ordered marine grade 316 stainless 1/16" dowel pins and replaced the pins in the new cover with them and all is well.  

I can't understand why manufacturers use 400-series stainless in devices that are going to be exposed to any liquid, much less saltwater.  The pins cost me a few cents each and should not rust for many years, if ever.

I had to order 25 pins, so if anyone wants me to mail them two, PM me your address.