74 gallon tower stock questions...

GOSKN5

I have a 74 gallon tower 24x24x30... unique deep tank... I'm looking at a few options for stocking.. I have 3 fish currently..

Black snowflake clown

Orchid dottyback

Flame hawkfish

The hawkfish is a little pushy to small fish and probably should have been added later or last. However, I love the guy haha..

So I need some fairly robust and tough fish.. I also want fish that swim and will use the open water and the height of the tank... the hawk chills on the rocks, the dottyback has a hole or two and the clown does clown things.. wobbles in a spot...

Thinking about a couple of options..

Some type of damsel or trio of damsels (yellowtails, azure, saphire)

Is the tank too small for a trio of lyretails? Maybe just a single female?

Chalk bass (probably gonna hang at bottom more than open water)

What other suggestions for open water fill the space and use the depth type fish??

Here is tank.. open rock work...

ff13a1084db060b520d1e737da1a435f.jpg

A pygmy angel might bully your hawk, but I could also see it working. You have water volume on your side despite the footprint. I kind of like the idea of a group of damsels...but perhaps a group of clowns would work better... not sure. I've only kept ocellaris, but they never seemed to care about not having a rock to call with their very own...and they have more guts in pairs versus singly. For a single damsel, I like Starki. 

Other ideas...blue dot Toby puffer, Midas blenny...an assessor

I think you're too small for the lyretails

(edited)

Man if I could be sure the puffer wouldn't snack on gorgs and LPS both of which will be heavy in this tank I would be all over it... same for pygmy angel... always go after my gorgs it seems...

Also if I could find a starcki it would already be in there.. can't seem to find one in stock

Assessor is good option although they are more around the rocks than the open water... midas too although they do hover a bunch.. I have had both in the past...thanks for the input

Edited by GOSKN5

Starki are somewhat seasonal but DD pops them up periodically.

Orange lined cardinal? Striped bassist...candy or similar?

Other damsels...these are kinda cool looking and different: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=300121

I've always wanted a blue dot puffer, but haven't had one. Always worried more about my clean up crew...don't recall hearing so much about lps and gorgs... good to know if that's experience you've had.

Starki are somewhat seasonal but DD pops them up periodically.

Orange lined cardinal? Striped bassist...candy or similar?

Other damsels...these are kinda cool looking and different: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=300121

I've always wanted a blue dot puffer, but haven't had one. Always worried more about my clean up crew...don't recall hearing so much about lps and gorgs... good to know if that's experience you've had.

Yea I have been watching for a starcki on DD...

Never had a bs puffer... just read about hits and misses in nipping.... my experience with every other reef safe with caution fish hasn't ended too well...

Tempting tho on the puffer...

Our Leopard Wrasse is always cycling throughout the water column, and the same for our Banggai Cardinals. In my other tank, the Zebra Dart (AKA Bar) Gobies started out hiding at the bottom all the time, but now they drift in the middle/upper portion quite a bit. I think with your setup Scissortail Gobies would look even better.