Maxscpect Riptide Owners..Opinions Please

AUFishGuy

I am currently running 2 Jebao Rw-8 on my 90 gallon mixed reef but dont really feel like i am getting as much flow as i want and definitely still have deadspots. I am looking at one of the riptide units but have a few concerns and questions.

1.) I have very fine sand that is easily moved. When watching videos it looks like this thing will move the sand bed quite a bit. Is this gonna be an issue? How could i fix it if so?

2.) Should the unit be mounted on one of the sides or on the back glass?

3.) What size unit would you recommend for a 90 gallon, the 130 or 150?

Any other comments or experiences are welcome.

TIA

I tried to have the 130 in my 90 and even at the highest setting I didn't feel it gave enough flow. I upgraded to the 150 and have it set super low because that pump is a beast. So I would suggest the 150. I also have it on the side.

I tried to have the 130 in my 90 and even at the highest setting I didn't feel it gave enough flow. I upgraded to the 150 and have it set super low because that pump is a beast. So I would suggest the 150. I also have it on the side.

Hoe long have you had it? Any issues in that time?

I am currently running 2 Jebao Rw-8 on my 90 gallon mixed reef but dont really feel like i am getting as much flow as i want and definitely still have deadspots. 

Well crap!  I ordered 1 rw-8 to see how many I'd need and if I liked it, was just about to order one more thinking that 2 would do my 90g most likey. I had an Mp-40 in my 90g and it just died...which sucks, but not so bad as it always moved my sand around and I needed another option. So 2 rw-8s just wasn't cutting it??

(edited)

Well crap! I ordered 1 rw-8 to see how many I'd need and if I liked it, was just about to order one more thinking that 2 would do my 90g most likey. I had an Mp-40 in my 90g and it just died...which sucks, but not so bad as it always moved my sand around and I needed another option. So 2 rw-8s just wasn't cutting it??

I mean dont get me wrong they move water just not quite in the way i want. Flow is very directional and there are still dead spots. Also am having to send one in for repairs, only had it for 2 months. The other ive had for a year and a half with no issues.

Point is i got 2 plus the unit that lets you control them from your phone for around $180. For another $90 you can have the riptide. Im just curious to quality as i have seen some threads elsewhere that say it isnt good

Edited by AUFishGuy

Hoe long have you had it? Any issues in that time?

I changed to the 150 in early August. No issues. It does truly need to be cleaned frequently though as stuff will get caught on the outside guard and then stuff accumulates on the blades themselves. I have one half pointed towards the surface for agitation and a bit of overall water movement and the other pointed straight-ish for overall water movement and it does well. The tank only has fish, anemones, rock and inverts, no corals.

I do have a 130 on my 40B which does have corals and it does well.

I've had bunch of issues with my 150. Went through 2 sets of blades already in less then 5 months.

I think part of it was my fault since when I was cleaning the unit which you must do often I didn't properly align the shaft with the marking on the blade very easy to miss.