Skimmer Help

Sad Panda

Ok I have a SKIMZ 143 in sump skimmer on my 55g, but I am setting up a new 180g. I have a Trigger 36s sump. I obviously need to upgrade skimmers but only have about 12" by 7" of space in the first sump section after the filter sock holder takes its space. I can not find anything reasonably priced that will fit and have looked at some external skimmers because of that. But I am not a plumping/electrical wiz and would like to know, is there a difference between the external and internal as far as performance wise and are the external ones hard to get plumbed and set up? In internal one was just drop in and plug cord in.

I got sticker shock looking at the prices of the things. ($380-$680)

Any help is appreciated.

External skimmers are pug and pay too if you don't hook them up to your return plumbing and use a separate feed pump.  The external skimmers have a feed pump separate from the pump that has the venturi that creates all the bubbles.  The separate feed pump means that the skimmer performance in the sump will not be affected by turning the return pump on and off.  That is to say it won't overflow if the volume in the sump rises due to turning the return pump off. It stays at the constant level determined by the feed pump.  It's also a lot easier to tune/dial in for that reason.

I would want an internal skimmer for a tank that size (180.) All of the above are good points, but they are usually larger so they can cover more surface area, thus more skimming.

I'm not sure of the size, but Avast CS1 skimmers do a pretty bang up job, and can be designed and modified to squeeze into a smaller than "normal" footprint. Plus they are recirculating, meaning the water level in the sump isn't a big deal if it's fluxing, or something goes wrong, so long as you can hit the desired (8" I believe, don't quote me.) They can keep the cost down because you have to build it yourself, but it's a really great way to get familiar with your skimmer, and it's not complicated to do. Plus they are local (Made in the USA), and a club sponsor to boot.

In the event of a skimmer overflow, an external skimmer can cause quite a mess. (Imagine stinky skimmate on the floor.)

Recirculating, internal skimmers are less sensitive to water level in the sump. 

Any chance to reconfigure the baffles in the sump to open up some space for a larger skimmer footprint?

Origami, I could maybe cut out the first baffle and move it over but its a Trigger systems 36s sump that is really nice and that would kill me. I may have to try to sell it and buy a larger sump. The sump looks brand new right now.