Return Pump Size

Sad Panda

Ok just got my used tank and am trying to decide on a return pump to purchase. I always read that the return should be 10x the tank volume. So my 180g should be an 1800 gph pump correct? But looking on line at the specs for the Marineland 180 it shows recommended max gph as 700. Is the 700 per corner for a total of 1400 gph? And if so this is still below the 10x tank volume. Am I over thinking this?

One other thing (I always find new questions as my mind wanders) the specs say the corner holes are drilled at 1.75 so if I order 1" bulkheads from BRS those should be the right flange size?

Thank you from a total new one.

Thank you. I have a Sicce 4.0 951gph on my 55g I will just reuse that then and save some money. Just didn't think it was going to be enough for a 180.

Your not looking for any sort of DT flow out of a return just enough turnover to get detritus and nutrient out of display and down in sump to be processed by skimmer and any other means. 4 x turnover is more than adequate

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Basically for flow from sump to main tank can be slower....this will give the skimmer more time to clean the water. On my 156 I had a mag 9 (13 yr old one) and it was more than enough flow)

Inside the tank you put powerheads(koralias, vortechs, gyre, whatever you choose) to move the water around aND stir up detritus(junk) so it can be drained down in the sump.

Dependin on the coral and fish you will adjust how many or how strong the powerheads are.......for sps higher flow....LPS lower flow.

Post up you plans and there is alot of knowledge that will give you great ideas or reaffirm your thoughts