Water cycling

rockstarta78

So I have a really dumb question and feel stupid asking this question. My question is, when you are cycling your tank, ate you supposed to top off with rodi water for evaporation?

Also, had anyone used Dr Tim's all in one? Or is that just a snake oil? My ammonia hasn't dropped in over a week. Consistently at .5ppm and nitrite at 2ppm.

Thank you for all your help.

Oh I forgot to mention, I used Dr Tim's ammonia to start the cycling with his one and only. I went with the fishless cycling method. Hope I didn't make things worse.

Using RODI to top off would be my preferred choice. If that is not available filtered water, or distilled water can also be used. There are a few people that use tap water and as long as it is treated or the chlorine is allowed to dissipate it is also an option, though I personally would not go that route unless it was an emergency situation. One thing that you don't want to do is top off with saltwater. This will raise your specific gravity and cause all sorts of issues.  

As for cycling a tank using Dr. Tim's additives, I don't believe that you have made or caused a problem by using it but IMO the most important ingredient for cycling a tank is time and patience.   

I am going to top of using rodi water. I am not very thrilled with Dr. Tim's product. I should have just stuck with ghost feeding. I am very patient and have time.

Also I can't find the fish anywhere in northern Virginia. No one seems to have one juvenile black and white ocellaris. Plus I am going to QT my fish for 6 weeks. So time is plentiful. :-)

Sounds like you are off to a good start. If this is your first SW tank welcome to the most addicting hobby ever. :cheers: 

As for the juvenile clowns you are looking for, I would try visiting a few of the LFS in the area and ask if they can order it in. Another resource you may want to try is, I know that Mattiejay6 (http://wamas.org/forums/user/2633685-mattiejay6/) is currently raising some clown fry and may be able to help you get what you are looking for.

Also remember that one of the biggest benefits you receive for being a member of this club is the ability to glean from the experience of others. If you have a question, IMO you should never feel negative for asking.

Thank you Tom. Yes very first SW tank. I've had fw tank in the past. Hopefully the patience pays off. I'll reach out to Mattie. Already spoke with coyote of lfs but no one can guarantee availability.