Carbonate overdose and fix

arking_mark

Just thought I would share. While fiddling around with my douser, I accidentally overdosed my tank with carbonate. Quick google search provided quick household solution.

1. Carbonate is not an issue as it will precipitate out.

2. High PH (above 8.6) will hurt tank mates.

3. 1 ml of vinegar per gal of tank to reduce ph by 0.3

4. Vinegar = carbon can cause bacterial bloom which can impact oxygen levels. Good skimming and surface agitation takes care of this.

My carbonate overdose raised ph to 8.78. Added 45 ml of white vinegar to my 34gal tank to reduce ph to 8.43.

I will also do a 12% water change today and tomorrow.

Hopefully no coral will be impacted.

Thanks for the summary, Mark. 

Yes, a carbonate (alk) overdose is generally not terribly harmful if the pH doesn't climb too much and remain too high for too long. That's because the elevated carbonate levels shifts the balance of CO2, HCO3 (bicarbonate) and CO3 (carbonate) in the water. Vinegar will bring the levels down as will any acid (some of which won't add an organic carbon source to fuel bacterial blooms). 

Sounds like you got on top of the issue pretty quickly and that you'll probably be fine. BTW, depending upon the level of overdose, a water change may also help bring things back into line. The larger the overdose, the larger the total water change that would be required to bring things back below 8.6.