Very friendly Goldenback trigger

fellterrier

After saving my Goldenback trigger from a nasty battle with ich, he's in my 72 gallon QT with a small female crosshatch that I saved as well, I can't believe how calm and friendly this fish is. He likes to be touched when I do tank maintenance and he eats jumbo shrimp from my hand. To my surprise, he's very gentle as if he's making sure not to bite me. I can't wait to put him in my main display late January.

After saving my Goldenback trigger from a nasty battle with ich, he's in my 72 gallon QT with a small female crosshatch that I saved as well, I can't believe how calm and friendly this fish is. He likes to be touched when I do tank maintenance and he eats jumbo shrimp from my hand. To my surprise, he's very gentle as if he's making sure not to bite me. I can't wait to put him in my main display late January.

Glad to hear he pulled through - sounds like we should just call you "Androcles"

Thanks LCDRDATA, no Androcles, lol, that would have been a lot of "thorns" to pull! Yeah, I'm glad he made it. I had a vlamingi tang who was friendly like this. It must be his size and self confidence. He's a great fish! Pulled from the brink as he was in real bad shape.

Good for you and the trigger, I had a blonde naso that used to let me touch him and every time I put my hands in the tank, I miss that fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and one lesson learned that I have is that you should always be careful of hand feeding.  If your fish are acclimated to the point of not being afraid of your hand or arm being in the tank, then you could suffer some nasty surprises!  We used to be very careful of using cues for our gator feedings for that very reason, if they got used to food coming from our hands it was destined to become an issue.

I feed some lion fish by hand and am regretting doing this as they have no fear of me at all now.

Dave's right. As beautiful as it is that he's so friendly with you, he could always make a mistake, and it wouldn't be his fault. I feel like predators are much more wary of the difference but they're like puppies, they don't know how hard they bite, or how to always distinguish your hand from a shrimp piece. 

My dog face puffer always liked to itch himself on my fingers, though I tried to not let him do it when there was any food. 

Just make sure you're careful :) and don't blame the little guy for an accident.

And how about some pics?

I had a very friendly Niger trigger before... Wanted to be petted when my hand was in the tank. But I did not hand feed as frankly fingers looks like sausages or shrimps,lol though he routinely got clams and mussels to break and eat :)

Lol! Point taken. Yeah, I won't make it a practice to hand feed, I was just curious as to his level of freindlyness. I actually have a Niger trigger that is dog tame as well. Trust me I know how painful a fish bit can be. I have a 9 inch Aussie tusk that got me one time and that really hurt! Ouch! Once he's in the display he will "hunting" for it like the rest of them.