New Filter Sock and Microbubbles

AUFishGuy

So just put on a new filter sock and my skimmer is creating a ton of microbubbles. They are making it into the display despite the bubble trap. Is this normal? I didn't rinse it before putting it on so Should I remove the filter sock? For now I have cut off the skimmer but I can't do that for long? Any ideas what is going on?

Edited by AUFishGuy

Same thing happened to me , I think you need to wash them first , not 100 percent on that

So will it dissipate on its own? Do I need to take the filter sock out? Do a water change?

Yeah, you need to take the sock out and rinse it really well. I would wait on the wc and see if your skimmer calms down in a few hours.

IMO, in the future, I wouldn't recommend putting any new equipment in your tank without a good cleaning and rinse.

I use white distilled vinegar to clean nearly all of my equipment.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I use the eshopps rectangular socks and always rinse for about a minute prior to installation...... If not protein skimmer gets seriously effected/foam overflow. Quick rinse and protein skimmer does not get effected at all.

It's normal for the skimmer to freak out like that on a new sock.  

You don't need to do a water change, but you should rinse all new filter socks first.  

The skimmer should settle down soon. If it doesn't, remove the sock, rinse it thoroughly and try again.