sulfa drugs in fish QT?

astroboy

I'm planning on buying some fish in a couple of weeks, and I have tetracycline and sulfa drugs left over from a freshwater QT I used as a prophyladtic. They certainly didn't do the freshwater fish any harm, but I've never heard of anyone using them for a saltwater fish quarantine. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on using these? Or have recommendation for other prophylactic treatments?

Thanks!

hi mark, tetracycline and sulfa-based antibiotics can technically be used on your saltwater fish, sure. that being said there is a reason you don't hear much about them in saltwater use - they are both obsolete and outdated.

they are not as effective on our saltwater fish as they are on their freshwater counterparts and won't be as gentle on any of our saltwater fish as, say, kanamycin. being freshwater fish are generally hardier/tougher than saltwater fish they can better handle it.

there isn't an antibiotic that works as well on saltwater fish as kanamycin, as that is readily absorbed by the fish's skin and also works well if ingested by soaking it in food. nitrofurazone runs a close second.

so basically, tetracycline and sulfa are "good enough" for your freshwater fish and in a pinch are better than nothing for saltwater fish but there are far better alternatives out there especially when you consider how expensive saltwater fish are and how slow acting antibiotics can be anyway.

hope this help sir - happy holidays and merry Christmas!

hi mark, tetracycline and sulfa-based antibiotics can technically be used on your saltwater fish, sure. that being said there is a reason you don't hear much about them in saltwater use - they are both obsolete and outdated.

they are not as effective on our saltwater fish as they are on their freshwater counterparts and won't be as gentle on any of our saltwater fish as, say, kanamycin. being freshwater fish are generally hardier/tougher than saltwater fish they can better handle it.

there isn't an antibiotic that works as well on saltwater fish as kanamycin, as that is readily absorbed by the fish's skin and also works well if ingested by soaking it in food. nitrofurazone runs a close second.

so basically, tetracycline and sulfa are "good enough" for your freshwater fish and in a pinch are better than nothing for saltwater fish but there are far better alternatives out there especially when you consider how expensive saltwater fish are and how slow acting antibiotics can be anyway.

hope this help sir - happy holidays and merry Christmas!

Thanks, this is really excellent information. I'll probably skip the antibiotics since the fish I got is eating like a pig in the QT and looks great....

Thanks, this is really excellent information. I'll probably skip the antibiotics since the fish I got is eating like a pig in the QT and looks great....

sure thing. I'd urge you to reconsider prophylactic treatment if that has not happened as of yet. I can't tell you how many times in just the past two months I've gotten emails from members and clients asking for him restocking their tank and similar words were their last before catastrophe. sounds like you got the right basics and ambition and will know what's best and feasible for you and your system. happy holidays and happy reefing!