What kind of algae is this??

Reefer_Madness

This algae came on some dry rock I bought. Anybody know what it is? It came back to life when I rehydrated it. Tough stuff.

It is more of a green sage color vs. a really deep green

73c1be30a4a5d26a27b2bfd1240889af.jpgb3144e80f750ec7aa740630e1025a92b.jpg6f9aea67a940d7db4d5756d5d2c0df8e.jpg

Probably some sort of green hair algae. Probably too many species of it for any of us to pinpoint. The algae wouldn't concern me just the phosphates that will probably leak from the Rock and feed that stuff. Forever lol

(edited)

The problem is this algae lived in my cook tank for too weeks with no light or phosphates. It's like the Bruce Willis of algaes. If it lived there and stayed alive when I took it out of water, I don't really feel good about putting it in my display.

Edited by Reefer_Madness

I had about 30lbs that was absolutely covered with gha. I pulled off some but didn't go crazy. I put it in a small tank with 12 mexican turbo snails and it's almost gone in less than two weeks.

The turbos would never survive without that much algae but you might try it and just rehome them.

I have had great success with a 4-5 day vinegar bath (5-1 water/vinegar) with a pump and heater then finishing it off with a bleach bath (20-1 water/bleach) with just a pump for 2-3 days. It makes the rock a bit brittle until it dries back out but it will kill anything living on or in the rock.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk