VA UV SOS

LCDRDATA

When upgrading my 55 FOWLR to a 90, I had to move my inline UV sterilizer - an Aqua UV Advantage 8W - and noted it was time to replace the bulb. Long story short, the new bulb doesn't seem to work, but it's unclear whether the problem is the bulb or the transformer / power supply, although I'm leaning toward the latter. Does anyone in the NoVa area have a transformer / power supply for this sterilizer that I could borrow to determine which component of my unit is faulty? Given that the replacement part is half the price of a complete new unit I want to be sure that's really the problem before I do anything else. Thanks! :bluefish:

Did you test it with a voltage meter? That might help narrow down the issue.

Edited by Bruleyii

Did you test it with a voltage meter? That might help narrow down the issue.

I thought of that, but we've been redoing our closets/storage and I can't find mine. :angry: It's also a very basic one and so might not do the job even if I find it. :bluefish:

(edited)

What are your goals for using that UV sterilizer? Killing parasites? Algae reduction?other?

Algae and disease (bacterial) reduction primarily. The unit is rated for 90,000 uw/cm2 at 214 GPH, or about what an MJ900 puts out (if the unit isn't plumbed directly inline to the inlet). If I'm not mistaken, that's enough to kill everything up to moderately hardy parasites.

Edited by LCDRDATA

Algae and disease (bacterial) reduction primarily. The unit is rated for 90,000 uw/cm2 at 214 GPH, or about what an MJ900 puts out (if the unit isn't plumbed directly inline to the inlet). If I'm not mistaken, that's enough to kill everything up to moderately hardy parasites.

That's a very high rating for 8 watts.  I would be interested to see how many wraps the coil on the inside has.

That's a very high rating for 8 watts.  I would be interested to see how many wraps the coil on the inside has.

There are no wraps; the water completely surrounds and flows past a quartz sleeve that runs the complete length of the unit's center. At only 214 GPH, it would seem the velocity is low enough to give sufficient contact time. You can click on the link in the original post for more info. :bluefish: