Using reactors - Good or bad?

thakki

I read some mixed reviews about using reactors like phosban for additional filtration in a system...some say it worked for them...some say its waste of money...some say just dump a bag with phosban no reactor is required...and some say after some time it will just become a source of nutrients which can cause algae issues in a tank. Any thoughts or comments?

My opinion, if it's becoming a source of nutrients, then you are neglecting your reactor.  It's undeniable that you get better utilization of the media if it's in a reactor.  They can be very easy to fill, rinse, clean, and refill. 

If someone is the type to neglect the stuff in the reactor and leave months old GFO in there with floss that was brown after two days and is now gray then I don't predict success in their reefing career.

If someone is the type to neglect the stuff in the reactor and leave months old GFO in there with floss that was brown after two days and is now gray then I don't predict success in their reefing career.

Ow, that hurts :unsure: .

I agree with Alan.  It is rare that you will find a spot to throw a bag of medium and the water will flow through, rather than around it.

To paraphrase a famous fake person, "I don't always use media, but when I do, I use a reactor."

Edited by mogurnda

Good thoughts! I actually ordered phosban reactor last week...waiting on it. 

What about the media? phosban, carbon, bio-pellets? Which one do you use?