What are the pros & cons of DE MH to SE MH?

TonyInVa

What are pros and cons of double ended metal halides  vs single ended metal halides. I currently have double ended and have broken the ends of of several bulbs. Can I just switch the socket to a single end?

what watt of halide are we talking?  Also, are you using ballast reflector combos are all in one fixture?

If we are talking 250w I prefer DE over SE  due to the 14k phoenix bulb.  That has almost the same output as a 400w bulb thus saving electricity and getting some awesome output.

If we are talking 400w definitely single end.  because 400w DE bulbs are all pretty much garbage.

As for changing from DE to SE, you will most likely have to buy a new reflector.

what watt of halide are we talking?  Also, are you using ballast reflector combos are all in one fixture?

If we are talking 250w I prefer DE over SE  due to the 14k phoenix bulb.  That has almost the same output as a 400w bulb thus saving electricity and getting some awesome output.

If we are talking 400w definitely single end.  because 400w DE bulbs are all pretty much garbage.

As for changing from DE to SE, you will most likely have to buy a new reflector.

Aren't they, (Phoenix) available in SE also? Is there a difference in the output between the DE/SE?

Aren't they, (Phoenix) available in SE also? Is there a difference in the output between the DE/SE?

yes they still make them but the par output is lacking on the single end bulbs. The only bulb I would use in a 250w SE is a 20k radium.