An argument for a QT tank

zygote2k

One of my clients has a nice reef tank at home which houses some very expensive fish including a pair of Wyoming Whites, a Black Tang, and a Chevron Tang. 

Prob $2k in those fish.

He made an impulse buy of a pair of Firefish and now all the fish have ick.

No QT tank or hospital tank on site.

Looks like I'll be setting one up.....

If you have expensive and/or rare/irreplaceable fish, it's wise to have some sort of QT protocols in place before adding fish to your system.

Just my .02

I agree! I have my new QT setup waiting for some new fish. I also recommend only housing a small number of fish at a time unless you really know what you're doing. Lost 6 fish in my last QT. Things can go quickly downhill. This time only doing 2 fish at a time to minimize my possible losses. Also looking into buying some (hopefully) healthier fish!

Quarantine tanks are so incredibly important and I really don't get why people risk it so much. You would think with enough horror stories about ick, velvet, worms and then even coral problems like nudis, bugs, flatworms people would take the time and be diligent. I know it sucks to have to maintain another 1 or 2 systems and not see your new fish in your beautiful reef, but it makes it that much more worth it knowing your fish and critters are healthy. It is the best investment one can make in this hobby.