Thakki's 80 gallon Shallow Reef Tank

thakki

Hello!!! 

I want to start off thanking all the members who took time in answering my questions, providing valuable suggestions and commenting to my posts.

Its been more than a year in this hobby...had to shutdown my previous tank 8 months after it was setup due to a move...I had a good success given my experience and my equipment (no sump, HOB skimmer...). Anyway, I was not sure if I would stay in the hobby after the move...no surprise...one month after I shutdown my tank I started to miss it. Here I am with my new setup...bought stand and tank from a fellow member...very happy with that...always wanted a shallow tank...rimless would have been ideal...but had to compromise on few things for me stay in the hobby. Just wanted to share some pictures. Provide any suggestions or comments. 

New Setup:
Deep Blue 80 Gallon Shallow Reef Ready with Herbie overflow (very silent...I can hear my return pump but nothing from my overflow...really like it!)
34 Gallon Trigger Systems Emerald sump
Bubble Magus Curve 7
Evergrow IT2080 LED fixture - this is what I have currently...still debating...go with this or two IT2040's or a totally different LED fixture
Return Pump: Sicce Syncra
50 lbs of BRS Dry Pukani rock (cycling started in a brute can)
70 lbs of Seaflor Caribsea sand
2 Jebao RW-8's

tank 1

tank 2

tank 3

tank 4

Miss my old tank:

20150316 194238 resized

Edited by thakki

Looks good I don't see why you would need to to half 2080s the 2080 should be perfect. Only may get a little light spill just keep it relatively close. 7-8 inches

Looks good I don't see why you would need to to half 2080s the 2080 should be perfect. Only may get a little light spill just keep it relatively close. 7-8 inches

My tank has a brace in the middle...I think a long unit like 2080 would cause dark shade under this brace in the middle of the tank. Wish the tank didn't have the middle brace or I should have gone with rimless tank.

My tank has a brace in the middle...I think a long unit like 2080 would cause dark shade under this brace in the middle of the tank. Wish the tank didn't have the middle brace or I should have gone with rimless tank.

You might be surprised.. I had a 75 gallon with a brace and a single fixture and the shadowing was minimal if noticeable at all...here is a pic

d84dd3ae1294ed2d2fab4b71012533db.jpg

b4d437855fd0b99f9ba3923d51f14631.jpg

Awesome looking tank. You are right...its hard to find a shadow...I hope it will be the same case with my setup as well. Anyway...how up above the tank did you mount the lights?

Awesome looking tank. You are right...its hard to find a shadow...I hope it will be the same case with my setup as well. Anyway...how up above the tank did you mount the lights?

The light was probably 16" or so above (I have since changed tanks so that's going off memory)...