New to the hobby

Hi All,

Nice to see a very active forum, I am n00b to saltwater aquariums and have been planning on setting up my aquarium for a while. I did my online study and reasearch on different starter "things to know" and finally got my 40 gallon breeder tank.

I am planning to setup a reef tank with fish live rock and corals with a tunze 9004 in tank skimmer and 40 pound live rock and 55 pound live sand. (I dont have sufficient space for a sump as of now).

Getting Reef crystal salt, RO filter and heater, lighting and testing kits.

Am I missing anything which is critical component to start with?

I live in alexandria/arlington area so if there are other aquarist or nOObie in this area, I am interested in meeting or discussions.

I was introducted to this forum by another member and was told that we have meetings, is it a single meeting for all DC metro area or localized?

Welcome aboard. You'll have to cycle your rock first, and you'll want to add powerheads to that list as well. A sump can easily fit underneath your stand or your tank, so unless you're putting it on something that has no access underneath, you should be alright!

We meet quarterly, and the locations are usually split between VA and MD, and announced prior to. You should consider coming to MACNA, which we are hosting this year, the biggest saltwater conference in North America!

Thanks Sublime,

Yes heard about MACNA and definitely want to see it.

Ya, I dont have a stand, Im currently putting it on top of a big fireplace. It has space beside but sump will sit beside/behind the tank, not sure if thats an optimum setup for pump and siphons to work.

Yes powerhead is also on the list.