Big loss & gain today

rioreef

I have not posted in a long while but had to today. Clam I have took a turn for the worst yesterday and I removed it today. Ten years in my tank and shell grew to 10+ inches. Sorry to see it go. After I took care of that and cleared the air of the bad smell a new addition to the tank arrived

Got a Vortech MP40W Quiet Drive! I needed more flow and this does the trick. I moved my Tunze 6055 to the other end of the tank to counter and churn the water. Works well this way. I can tell you for all the complaints I read about the old MP40 and noise to the point many did not turn up to full strength. Not an issue with the quite drive model. Turn up all the way now (4,500 gph) at constant speed and only sound is a low hum. Cooling fan in hood make more noise. Very happy with it. If your on the fence a out getting one, buy it.

40QD is on right side of 90 gal and the 6055 on the other side. Return from sump is pointed down back wall. Stirring up a lot, so I have the foam filter that came with 40QD and cleaning it every hour. Slows the flow but necessary to clean water column

I have noticed the warmth on mine. I have never owned the previous models to compare with do I shrugged it off.

(edited)

quiet drives seem to be very hot to the touch and after a while, they make noise.

Can't be noisier than my skimmer.

I did notice the heat but that was when I was running at max power

Edited by rioreef

The qd does have some warmth to it but no where near as bad as the old ones. And is no where near as noisy as the old ones. Congrats on the new equipment. Sorry for your loss