Average temp in a garage in the Maryland/DC Area?

Nvs1980

Hey folks,

I used to have a reef tank before I moved. It crashed in the move and haven't set it up since. I'm now thinking about possibly setting back up and I'm giving serious thought to having it on my ground floor with the sump in the garage. We haven't had too many days that have broken triple digits this year so I'm curious if anyone out there has either their tank or sump set up in their garage and if you needed to invest in a chiller and and several additional heaters for the winter?

I live in Glen Burnie, Maryland and the front of my house gets direct sun light after noon. So far over the pas 7 days my thermometer hasn't broken 80 degrees but it hasn't really been excessively hot this year either.

I think you'd be okay with the sump in the garage... But not the tank...

My garage stays cool as I'm in a townhouse and have neighbors, so in the summer it never gets over 90... But winter it gets down to 60...so you'd be running many heaters (or find a way to enclose it in the winter?)

I keep my RODI and mixed saltwater in brute containers in my garage and the water can get warm. The last several weeks the water temp in the brutes has been at 84-85 F.

it is depended on what type of garage and its location. Also, there maybe some polluted air from your car exhausted to be considered also.

I don't know about everyone else but in my garage, water freezes in the winter and feels like 90 degrees on days like today.

(edited)

Agree w PK3. If the sun is hitting your garage it will likely be too extreem unless you put in a heat/ac unit for the garage. How hot was it in there yesterday when it was 98* outside?

Edited by elbowdeep88