Skimmer overflow

Donmarco

Just a little while ago I discovered water all over my floor. When I looked, I discovered that the protein skimmer was overflowing. It filled up the overflow reservoir and water was leaking from that. That's never happened before and I've had this tank 7 years. Well, I cleaned the whole thing up and then started the skimmer again and it began to over-foam and over-fill again. I quickly adjusted the air-intake valve and got it under control.

I'm trying to figure out what I may have done to cause the problem. The only thing I did today was add some Seachem Stress Guard to the tank. Can this cause the skimmer to overflow? If so, if I use it again, I'll turn the skimmer off for awhile and then monitor it when I turn it back on.

Does anybody have any hunches about this?

Thanks.

Mark

Mine overflowed today also though not much water spilled. I am going to clean it today and put it back online. I think the cause was a clogged filter sponge. Some times things we add to a tank can cause a skimmer to go nuts. I have seen it happen when using underwater epoxy to mount frags.

Good luck.

David