Can I add Vinegar to lower PH and DKH? (Kalkwasser inline with ATO)

22bfan

I have a small Tunze ATO with float sensor that has been working wonderfully (except for when the feed pump burned out after about a year).

I brought a number of SPS corals into the tank, then added a Two Little Fishes Kalkwasser reactor inline with my ATO.  

My experience over about 4 months of use is that calcium stays around 400 but DKH can be a little high (9-11).

I'm wondering if I added a small amount of vinegar to my ATO bucket full of RO water, if that would keep PH and DKH balanced while still reaping the benefits of the additional Calcium?

Anyone try this?

(edited)

Boost your calcium with some 2 part then cut back on the kalk to maintain levels equally.  Kalk maintains things in balance.  You shouldn't find yourself in a situation like you are once things are aligned.

There is a chart with balanced levels somewhere.  I can't seem to find it.

HERE: http://wamas.org/forums/gallery/image/12947-alkalinity-chart-v2/

Edited by BowieReefer84

If you add vinegar (white) to your ato/di reservoir, you'll have to try and keep it as clean as possible. Vinegar can fuel microbial growth and the ato box will have to be clean out rather often. Vinegar will help dissolve kalk in equal parts so it won't help much to lower your alkalinity. It will help lower the pH slightly though.

BowieReefer84 - Thanks for the chart!!  For clarification, your saying I should scale the kalkwasser mix back a bit and dose calcium only solution until levels balance.  

RW09903 - Thanks for the info on white vinegar.  I had no idea it would breed bacteria.  I always assumed it would kill/prevent bacteria because it is acidic.  Thats the problem with assuming . .  ;) 

I'm just saying kalk is balanced, so there is no need to try to tweak it with vinegar to adjust the alk level in your tank.  Ideally you would get the level balanced with two part then rely on the kalk moving forward.

I can't say whether you should scale back or not. 

Great tip. Ill get things adjusted and work on maintaining with kalkwasser.