Aluminium foil to treat Bryopsis?

mutley29

I have Bryopsis in my tank again, i thought i was shot of this stuff after all the affected rocks from last time were left outside dry over the winter in order to kill this nightmare of an algea, the only natural remedy i've tried that has come close to working was a Foxface Rabbit fish, he munched in a considerable amount of the stuff then lost interest in that and turned to a crocea and a Red Monti Cap, i also tried a Tuxedo Urchin, and Emerald Mythrax crabs just laugh at it and me.

So i was wondering as my levels are in reasonable order,

NO3 = 0

NO2 = 0

NH3 = 0

PO4 = 0

Ca & Alk are doing very well with my new Deltec Ca Reactor, Thankyou very much Johnny

Should i try covering the affected area still in the tank with kitchen foil as i dont have anything else to use

Anyone have any ideas, i cut back on lighting, feeding (my PBT is giving me evil looks) and have been running Rowaphos from my first day of cycle, with intermittent bouts of carbon.

The easiest route, although not the best would be to remove the last affected rock and boil it (extreme i know) but i have Pavona encrusting it along with yellow polyps and an encrusting monti.

Any help ideas welcomed

Anton

I've found that hair algea can live a very long time with no light at all. I once put a rock with a small patch of had hair algae in my unlit sump. After a few weeks, the HA was still there, albeit thinner and yellower. So while reducing light is part of the solution, it's not a total solution by itself.

The only way I've been able to eliminate it is to

- Reduce lighting and feeding somewhat, but not enough to hurt the corals or fish.

- Continue frequent water changes.

- Manually remove as much as possible.

- Have sufficient herbivores that like to eat it.

Jon

Thanks Gary & John

It is tempting to try the Lettuce Nudi, do they eat bryopsis as well as other forms of algea or are they target specific feeders, if so no probs as my supposed frag tank looks like an underwater jungle at the moment, the light coming from my display tank is hitting my frag tank at the back of the room and the growth is well, very good.

I haven't researched the lettice nudi's yet, work pc's run slower than windup toys so will check them out when i get home at 0630. The problem isfrom what i have read so far in Julian sprungs book on algae and from surfing the web is not to many critters will eat this stuff, i may have to do what someone on RDO suggested and use a small tactical nuke :2thumbsup:

I may just have to bite the bullet and try and frag off the corals as best i can and get medievil on the LR

Keep the info coming please

I will take some water to a LFS and get the water tested to make sure my kits up to snuff

Thanks again

Anton ;)

I had a minor Bryopsis outbreak in my tank, but I believe the new Tux Urchin I added took care of it within one week. :D

Thought about using Lettuce Nudi, but I think only a specific type touches Bryopsis, same with Sea Hare.