how to frag anthelia polyps

madmax7774

I have a coral that was given to me by a LFS as it was "probly gonna die anyway", so they gave it me. I nursed it back to health, and now it is growing like wildfire. Is it possible to frag some off so I can bring it home to my main tank, as I like the way it looks.

John

Anthelia typically grows in matts, and you should be able to peel some off (look for a spot near where a rock it touching sand or glass).

Another thing you can do for most encrusting types of corals is put a piece of rock near where they are allready growing and wiat (they will grow onto the new rock and then just move this new rock to new location... voila instant frag).

Dave

Anthelia... my number #1 coral in the HIT list. Sorry, but I hate anthelia, it will grow like weed and soon cover your entire rock work competing with Zoos, and killing SPS. I tell you by experience. I even posted three times on how to erradicate this pest from my tanks. Not easy, and you can ask any experience reefer about their opinon on Anthelias... But again, is a nice coral and you can if you want put it in your tank for the time been. now :D don't tell me I did not warn you. :o

by the way, they don't sting other corals, they soffocate them by growing over them and cutting source of lights. basically same as pachiclavularia when it grows over SPS corals.

I am with Jake, I put it in one of my tanks and I wish I had never done it. It will grow all over the place. Consider yourself warned... twice. ;)

I remove it with tweezers... peel up a little bit of the base flesh and you should be able to pull it off in sheets. Attach this somewhere in your tank and you will have anthelia in no time. Placing it away from your main rockword might allow you to control it easier. In the aforementioned tank, I pull it out all the time, but I let it cover one side of my tank and it has covered most of my corner overflow. It looks OK... but now it is attempting to wrap around the front pane of my tank and into my overflow teeth.