In what order should I do the following

Dario5678

I am thinking about my $$ and trying to do things in order of importance..could anyonehelp me with priotitizing:

These are the next things to do on my to do list: (not in this particular order)

• Add white rock that has been cleaned
  • purchase the peices to convert my current corner overflow to Herbie Drain and then convert
  • Purchase enough sand for 1-1 1/2 inches on bottom of tank
  • Purchase skiimer attachment that allows skimmer output to be under water becasue its so loud
  • Purchase glass cover for tank (evaporation)
  • purchase supplements for live rock (cacium, purple up (ive only heard from marketers regarding this stuff)

I am thinking about my $$ and trying to do things in order of importance..could anyonehelp me with priotitizing:

These are the next things to do on my to do list: (not in this particular order)

• Add white rock that has been cleaned
  • purchase the peices to convert my current corner overflow to Herbie Drain and then convert
  • Purchase enough sand for 1-1 1/2 inches on bottom of tank
  • Purchase skiimer attachment that allows skimmer output to be under water becasue its so loud
  • Purchase glass cover for tank (evaporation)
  • purchase supplements for live rock (cacium, purple up (ive only heard from marketers regarding this stuff)

Why don't you get your tank plumbed and set up right so you can cycle your rock and sand inside it while you think about all those other things. Forget the glass cover, and what makes you think you need products right off the bat? So here is what I would do.

• Fix your overflow, although I'm not sure I understand what you want to do here. Just get it working so you can drop water to your sump, and pump it back up into your display tank.
  • Put sand in tank.
  • Put rock in tank.
  • Fill with saltwater at 1.025 salinity
  • Throw in a piece of live rock from a friends tank, or LFS, or a cup of sand, or a shrimp, or pee in it. Choose one of those options to start your cycle.
  • Hook up an automatic top off.
  • Think about why you want to dose when there is nothing in your tank. Read as much as you can. Let your tank run for 2 months while you are doing this.
  • Enjoy

(edited)

Why don't you get your tank plumbed and set up right so you can cycle your rock and sand inside it while you think about all those other things. Forget the glass cover, and what makes you think you need products right off the bat? So here is what I would do.

• Fix your overflow, although I'm not sure I understand what you want to do here. Just get it working so you can drop water to your sump, and pump it back up into your display tank.
  • Put sand in tank.
  • Put rock in tank.
  • Fill with saltwater at 1.025 salinity
  • Throw in a piece of live rock from a friends tank, or LFS, or a cup of sand, or a shrimp, or pee in it. Choose one of those options to start your cycle.
  • Hook up an automatic top off.
  • Think about why you want to dose when there is nothing in your tank. Read as much as you can. Let your tank run for 2 months while you are doing this.
  • Enjoy

I was told that becasue the rock was dead and white, something should be added to assist with the coloring it up.

The tank is already set up with water and the correct slainity .with ten pounds of live rock and 2 tiny clown fish

The plunmbing is set up I urrently have the (duro drain or something like that) becasue of nosie and splashing in the sump a couple of people suggested Igo with the herbie drain system to assist with that and microbubbles.

It looks liek you are suggesting..

Sand next, then rock,  then top off (my water evaporates so fast)

Thanks as always

Edited by Dario5678

Yes, but actually you should do rock then sand. See your other thread, my mistake on the order of operation. Your rock will color up in time, those products are just snake oils, IMO.

If you plumb the existing manufacturers corner overflow, it'll be dead silent, but you also need to make sure water enters the sump thru a drain box/ bubble trap/ sock to eliminate the other end of where the noise comes from.

Herbies are fine if you build a tank around it, but modifying one system into another means you'll have to run over the side returns and that kind of defeats the purpose of having an overflow box.

Glass cover is fine provided you can manage the heat that will build up inside the tank. If chilled, then no prob but I suspect you'll be removing the tops and your evap will go up necessitating the use of an ATO.

Start a testing regimen using super reliable Salifert test kits and record the results. Do weekly water changes and monitor the tank closely. Add livestock slowly and wisely. Don't buy any supplement unless you can justify it and test for it.

If you plumb the existing manufacturers corner overflow, it'll be dead silent, but you also need to make sure water enters the sump thru a drain box/ bubble trap/ sock to eliminate the other end of where the noise comes from.

Herbies are fine if you build a tank around it, but modifying one system into another means you'll have to run over the side returns and that kind of defeats the purpose of having an overflow box.

Glass cover is fine provided you can manage the heat that will build up inside the tank. If chilled, then no prob but I suspect you'll be removing the tops and your evap will go up necessitating the use of an ATO.

Start a testing regimen using super reliable Salifert test kits and record the results. Do weekly water changes and monitor the tank closely. Add livestock slowly and wisely. Don't buy any supplement unless you can justify it and test for it.

Solid gold advice!