Bare Bottom or Sand

RTElite12

I bet this topic pops up a lot, but I was thinking about doing my next tank as a bare bottom tank as it seems easier to maintain and keep clean. I was just wondering what the pros and the cons are and also what I could potentially stock in the tank as it is a 29 biocube and a lot of smaller fish need the sand like gobies and such.

I have done bare bottom in the past and decided to go back to sand because for me, keeping it clean was more work.  It depends on how you want the bottom to look.  It's much easier to clean detritus on the bottom, just suck it out, but on the other hand, there is nothing at all to hide it so it shows very quickly.  If you go BB, are you going to let coralline grow on the bottom?  If not, it is like having a whole other window to keep clean (that you can't use a magnet on).  But if you don't mind sucking out detritus a couple times a week and don't want the build-up of organics in the sand, go for it. 

As you mentioned, it rules out sand dwelling animals when you are already limited by tank size.  I do love my goby/pistol pair...

Bare bottom 4 lyfe.

I love sand, just not the hassle of it. Plus, I keep moving in mind. Breaking down a bb tank=easy. Breaking down a tank with sand=messy.

To each their own though.

That's why I am thinking BB. I just cleaned out the tank with sand and it was a pain in the butt, but I can see both sides of the argument.

This horse has been kicked so many times, but in the end, it comes down to personal preference. I love wrasse, especially the sand dwelling ones. I also don't want to keep a screen top on my rimless, so I forgo having wrasse. My entire tank was built with the mindset of having to move it. I am not planning a beautiful display tank until I know I will be somewhere for at least 10 years, and who knows when that will be.

I agree there are good points to both sand and BB, the deciding factor for me is how long your tank is going to be set up.  If you plan on your tank staying put for a long time, sandy tanks tend to accumulate detritus until it causes you a meltdown.  We all get lazy and neglect our tanks and sandy bottoms handle more waste load in the short run but get toxic when neglected for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Bare bottom 4 lyfe.

I love sand, just not the hassle of it. Plus, I keep moving in mind. Breaking down a bb tank=easy. Breaking down a tank with sand=messy.

To each their own though.

Issac = nomadic reefer