Sump DIY ideas

stevil

I have a 90 Gallon with corner overflow going into a 20 gallon long sump underneath. I am stuck with that sump in there because it is too long to pull out without breaking down the tank.

I'm looking for some creative ideas on what I can do with it.

I'd like to have a refugium, have been considering putting acrylic baffles in it, but am also curious if folks have any other ideas.

Here are some pics:

6175FullTank.jpg

6178Sump1.jpg

6179Sump2.jpg

I am using a HOB fuge ~ 36"L x 12"Hx 4"W on my 55gal. When I move to my 90 in a few weeks, I will be adding a sump to the system while maintaining the HOB fuge.

Am planning on using my current 55 as my sump.

Find a used acrylic nano tank with hood and light that you can sit cross wise on top of your 20L. Drill a hole in the nano and put a bulkhead fitting that will allow for an overflow. Run PVC down from the overflow to the sump so the water level in the sump covers the opening in the bottom of the pipe. Helps keep it quiet. Next take a small powerhead with a

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Snulman

I just did this for my 55g. I bought a 30 gallon tank, and a sheet of plexi glass from HD. Then you just cut the plexi glass to the internal size you need, keeping it about 2-3" lower then the top of the tank, and that could be used as your fuge. If you wanna get complex, you can do this and set up 3 areas. One for your overflow to enter, your fuge, and then a return area!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tomsimtim

I am getting ready to make a sump too, that is a great idea to add a refugium, simple too.

Thanks, I am going to do it.

Tim

Oops, I meant that for this post! Dang Blackberry 1" x 2" screen :blush:

Sump can be anything you want them to be as far as designs go, but FWIW, the next time I do a sump, I'm going to make sure that where the returns go into the tank, that some type of lid is in that area! The splashing and popping of air bubbles, causes ALOT of salt creep in that area.

Here's what I do. My sump is two rubbermaid tubs joined by bulkheads and a union. The first one houses my protein skimmer, a rubber duck and lots of bubbles. The second has the return pump, lots of LR rubble, cheato and a light. The return pump is a mag 7 and I have the guard on it. My only problem so far is algae buildup on the pump inlet, but I have got a peice of tupperware that I am going to turn upsode down and use as a light shield over the pump. Pods are constantly swimming around.

I figure if the pods are going to have to go through a return pump anyway, why not make most of my sump into a big refugium?