Reef Environmental Education Foundation Retailer Campaign

I wanted to let everyone know about a pretty cool campaign, which spawned out of a campaign I used to work with. The campaign is lead by the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF), called “Don’t Release Me”. It is aimed at educating pet owners to prevent the release of non-native pets in an effort to prevent potentially invasive species from ever establishing themselves. We know from our experiences with Pythons and Lionfish it can very easily happen, it just requires a mating pair to find each other.

What really caught my eye and the reason I’m posting this is their plans for retailers. REEF is creating bags with “DON’T RELEASE ME” and their website printed on the bags. They are hoping to get these bags down to the same cost, if not cheaper, than the bags pet stores currently use in an effort to raise awareness in new buyers. I've attached pictures of the bags below.  

I thought it was a cool campaign lead by a really cool organization and thought I’d share with everyone.
If anyone has questions, feel free to ask me, or you can contact the organization at lad@dontreleaseme.org

http://www.dontreleaseme.org/

REEF.org

SqdG73l.jpg

Very cool. I know that with turtles in VA this is a big problem. Especially with places like China Town and carnivals bringing in Red Eared Sliders to folks that think they can keep them in fish bowls.

Awareness is good.