Help Needed, I'm moving!

yauger

Hello WAMAS gang, I was hoping if I could recruit some people to help me move my tank into my new home on 5/30/2015. that is Saturday a little over 3 weeks from now. I have zero experience in moving a tank and don't want to pretend that I do. However I do know that I will provide more food than you can eat and beer for you to drink! I hope to get some awesome advice in this thread as to how to avoid disasters and best practices.

the info you need: starting point ---> 3989 Cressida pl 22912

Saturday May 30 @11am until complete

40 NUVO High (I think it is around 35 gallons)

40 gallon top off tank

various supporting equipment

I know some of you are wondering why I can't do this on my own so here is a quick summary on why. I'm a late stage heart failure patient and currently have a artificial heart that is enabling me to stay alive. I can do most things normally but if you can imagine there are limitations:

1. I'm not water proof, i know it sounds weird but I have electronic equipment that can not get wet. 

2. I can't lift anything heavy, I know I look normal (if you ignore the equipment) but muscles need oxygen to work properly, my pump delivers a specific amount of blood which is sufficient for activity but nothing strenuous. so it basically allows me to lift a 5 gallon bucket of water without feeling exhausted. 

the move will be a total of 4 miles away, I'm moving from Woodbridge to Woodbridge! not a huge move but it would help if someone had a truck, we can use my minivan also!

in any case let me know if you want to help with the move, eat, drink or just watch the shenanigans!

thanks everyone

Josh

free? haha yeah pizza and beer, corals? nope! thanks Eric, I really appreciate the help!

hey eric do you have a water containers that I could use to make new salt water and fresh water at the new house? I figure I should have at least 40 gallons of both ready on hand just at the new place.

Hi Josh, 

You are 1.5 hours away from me.  A little too far for me to volunteer, but check out these articles on moving aquariums since it looks like you are planning ahead and have time.  I read these before I moved my own aquarium in 2008, and they helped me think through the process.

Good Luck with volunteers and your move!

Gary

http://kb.marinedepot.com/article.aspx?id=10158

http://kb.marinedepot.com/article.aspx?id=10159

I need to borrow two water containers that holds at least 55 gallons. Let me know if you can let me borrow it for that weekend!

I moved my tank a lot.  What I recommend is one bucket for fish/inverts, one (or more as needed) for corals.  I would save some of the current water to use when you get the tank to the new house, I always kept around 50%.  Starting with all new fresh water sounds good but can cause issues with recycling.  Leave just enough water in the tank to cover the sand but more than you think because you'll want to suck out the detritus that is stirred up after the move.

After everything is in the buckets snap the lids on throw them in the car with the tank drive them over.  When you get to the new house place the tank, add some water, unpack corals, then the fish/inverts.  Top off the tank.

Your move shouldn't be long enough that you need to worry about having heaters/air pumps in the buckets.  I moved one of my tanks from KY to MD in a cooler with no air pump or heater.

I have a 55g stock tank if you want. Could move the livestock into that for a bit while the tank move is done and settled.

arwndsh thanks for the tips, I will use them when the move day arrives.

Dave!! thank broski I already have a 40 breeder that I'm going to be using to transfer the corals and fish in, I do however need some water containers (food grade barrels would work perfectly) so I can have premade salt water and fresh water at the new house.

I have a bunch of Mason jars we can use for water. The each hold about 2 cups of water and are food grade.  I'll bring them over!!!  hahahah.

Ben you should check out the saltwater reefer lounge on FB you'd love it!! hahahahaha

Josh, rubber totes would probably work great and easier and less risk in transit than the 40b. Mine are full of live rock or you could borrow. You could also use trash cans. Sadly, I'm out of town that weekend or I'd help you move...Nags Head that week. I have a couple of your 5g buckets in my car still...you may need those back from the sound of it. Congrats on the new digs....we're moving down near Montclair end of June...so I'll have similar dilemmas. - Matt